Do GPS systems work on a Mac?
John
2010-05-29 00:11:11 UTC
Was thinking about buying a new GPS system, but not sure if it would
work on a Mac. I am just getting tired of the many limitations of my
BlackBerry GPS. I am not sure as to what model I would buy, just need
something cheap, and something simple. I dont wish to mess a whole lot
with it, just need something superior to my BlackBerry GPS. I just get
so sick and tired of the constant downloading all the time as I enter
new regions. Although for some reason the Sprint Navigation program does
not do this as I drive to locations. Google Maps is sluggish, and BB
Maps is a little faster, but not by much. But Sprint Navigation only
works as a direction finder app, and not as a map GPS, as what I have
seen done wit modern GPS systems.

Thanks,

John
--
Are there errors in the Bible? How should a church
conduct its worship services? Is drinking Alcohol a sin? Is racism wrong?
the faith, CERM is your place. http://www.cerm.info
nospam
2010-05-29 00:21:34 UTC
Post by John
Was thinking about buying a new GPS system, but not sure if it would
work on a Mac.
they are standalone devices.

garmin has mac software for their gps units, but if the gps has maps
already built in, you probably don't need a computer at all. if the
gps has a removable memory card, you can transfer track logs and other
data by dragging files in finder.
John
2010-05-29 02:00:03 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by John
Was thinking about buying a new GPS system, but not sure if it would
work on a Mac.
they are standalone devices.
garmin has mac software for their gps units, but if the gps has maps
already built in, you probably don't need a computer at all. if the
gps has a removable memory card, you can transfer track logs and other
data by dragging files in finder.
Thank you. This answered my question.
isw
2010-05-29 05:02:00 UTC
In article <jwolf6589-***@nntp.charter.net>,
John <***@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

--stuff--

Your posts always include a fairly peculiar sig. After reading it ad
nauseum, I feel obliged to reply, in hope that, once you get the
answers, you'll stop asking.
Post by John
Are there errors in the Bible?
Ans: Yes. Many. A whole lot. Myriad. More than you can count. And then
some.
Post by John
How should a church conduct its worship services?
Ans: In private, and quietly so as to not annoy the neighbors.
Post by John
Is drinking Alcohol a sin?
Ans: No. And it's a silly question.
Post by John
Is racism wrong?
Ans: Yes. No rational person would even ask.

Isaac
Mike Rosenberg
2010-05-29 14:45:19 UTC
Post by isw
Your posts always include a fairly peculiar sig.
Signatures are outside the body of the post. Either ignore them or
respond privately to the author. By responding in public, _you_ have
started an off-topic subthread.
--
Favorite yoga position: Rosh hashavasana, the high holy pose

Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts <http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi>
Prius shirts/bumper stickers <http://designsbymike.net/shop/prius.cgi>
John

Mike Rosenberg
2010-05-30 14:37:04 UTC
Post by John
Post by Mike Rosenberg
Post by isw
Your posts always include a fairly peculiar sig.
Signatures are outside the body of the post. Either ignore them or
respond privately to the author. By responding in public, _you_ have
started an off-topic subthread.
Thank you.
You're welcome, BUT keep firmly in mind I'm only referring to one's
signature. Anything you post above that line needs to be on-topic.

John
2010-05-30 17:19:40 UTC
Post by Mike Rosenberg
Post by John
Post by Mike Rosenberg
Post by isw
Your posts always include a fairly peculiar sig.
Signatures are outside the body of the post. Either ignore them or
respond privately to the author. By responding in public, _you_ have
started an off-topic subthread.
Thank you.
You're welcome, BUT keep firmly in mind I'm only referring to one's
signature. Anything you post above that line needs to be on-topic.
I agree with you. My latest post was about ichat and was on topic.

You know Mike you are not the dick head I thought you as.

John
George Kerby
2010-05-30 17:31:14 UTC
On 5/30/10 12:19 PM, in article
Post by John
Post by Mike Rosenberg
Post by John
Post by Mike Rosenberg
Post by isw
Your posts always include a fairly peculiar sig.
Signatures are outside the body of the post. Either ignore them or
respond privately to the author. By responding in public, _you_ have
started an off-topic subthread.
Thank you.
You're welcome, BUT keep firmly in mind I'm only referring to one's
signature. Anything you post above that line needs to be on-topic.
I agree with you. My latest post was about ichat and was on topic.
You know Mike you are not the dick head I thought you as.
John
I'm sure he will be glad to know that because he was really concerned about
your 'feelings'...
JF Mezei
2010-05-30 18:48:11 UTC
This may be OT:

On a flight over clouds, I had internet access (gogoInFlight) and fired
up Google Earth, plugged in my garmin GPS and Voila ! I had a satellite
image of the ground below me without the clouds. And it moved "live" as
the plane moved.

Only problem was that my GPS had barometric altitude and insisted I was
only at 2500m altitude (cabin pressure) intead of roughly 10km where
planes normally fly, so Google Earth's view was from 2500m altitude.
John
2010-05-31 17:54:35 UTC
Post by JF Mezei
On a flight over clouds, I had internet access (gogoInFlight) and fired
up Google Earth, plugged in my garmin GPS and Voila ! I had a satellite
image of the ground below me without the clouds. And it moved "live" as
the plane moved.
Only problem was that my GPS had barometric altitude and insisted I was
only at 2500m altitude (cabin pressure) intead of roughly 10km where
planes normally fly, so Google Earth's view was from 2500m altitude.
That sounds awesome man! I would love to see some shots of these images.
Mike Rosenberg
2010-05-30 17:50:37 UTC
Post by John
Post by Mike Rosenberg
You're welcome, BUT keep firmly in mind I'm only referring to one's
signature. Anything you post above that line needs to be on-topic.
I agree with you. My latest post was about ichat and was on topic.
You know Mike you are not the dick head I thought you as.
If you treat others on Usenet respectfully, you'll get respectful
treatment in return, from me and others. If you treat us
disrespectfully, you'll get treated according by me and others.

If you ever feel that others giving back to you what you've dished out
in the first place makes _them_ dick heads, well, that's YOUR problem.

John Decker
2010-08-10 22:09:17 UTC
Post by John
Post by nospam
Post by John
Was thinking about buying a new GPS system, but not sure if it would
work on a Mac.
they are standalone devices.
garmin has mac software for their gps units, but if the gps has maps
already built in, you probably don't need a computer at all. if the
gps has a removable memory card, you can transfer track logs and other
data by dragging files in finder.
Thank you. This answered my question.
Hey John,

You need to consider that a Magellan gps cannot be firmware updated using Mac
OS. It requires a PC or Mac running some type of PC emulation software for the
Mac to update the firmware on the Magellan. I talked to tech individual at
Magellan about whether Magellan gps's would ever be Macintosh compatible and his
answer was no not at this time.

As the OP stated above, the Magellan has maps already built in but a PC is
required to update those maps online unless the maps come on a memory card that
you will have to purchase.

JD

isw
2010-05-29 04:54:14 UTC
Post by John
Was thinking about buying a new GPS system, but not sure if it would
work on a Mac. I am just getting tired of the many limitations of my
BlackBerry GPS. I am not sure as to what model I would buy, just need
something cheap, and something simple. I dont wish to mess a whole lot
with it, just need something superior to my BlackBerry GPS. I just get
so sick and tired of the constant downloading all the time as I enter
new regions. Although for some reason the Sprint Navigation program does
not do this as I drive to locations. Google Maps is sluggish, and BB
Maps is a little faster, but not by much. But Sprint Navigation only
works as a direction finder app, and not as a map GPS, as what I have
seen done wit modern GPS systems.
Any GPS unit that has a standard NMEA output (serial or Bluetooth) can
work with a Mac. you will need some sort of mapping app to make any use
of the output, however.

FYI, all a GPS unit puts out is a string of messages. Aside from some
messages needed for "housekeeping", the ones of interest contain
Latitude, Longitude, Altitude and Time. Everything after that is up to
some piece of software capable of plotting those points at the proper
locations on a map.

Isaac
John
2010-05-29 05:32:30 UTC
Post by isw
Post by John
[...]
We will see today!
John Varela
2010-05-31 01:06:11 UTC
Post by John
Was thinking about buying a new GPS system, but not sure if it would
work on a Mac. I am just getting tired of the many limitations of my
BlackBerry GPS. I am not sure as to what model I would buy, just need
something cheap, and something simple. I dont wish to mess a whole lot
with it, just need something superior to my BlackBerry GPS. I just get
so sick and tired of the constant downloading all the time as I enter
new regions. Although for some reason the Sprint Navigation program does
not do this as I drive to locations. Google Maps is sluggish, and BB
Maps is a little faster, but not by much. But Sprint Navigation only
works as a direction finder app, and not as a map GPS, as what I have
seen done wit modern GPS systems.
Any TomTom GPS will do what you want. I bought a refurbished unit
for less than $100 and have been very pleased with it, and use it in
preference to my several-years-old $800 Garmin.
John Varela
John
2010-05-31 17:49:50 UTC
Post by John Varela
Post by John
[...]
Did no see any of those at Walmart.
Mike Rosenberg
2010-05-31 18:16:48 UTC
Post by John
Post by John Varela
Any TomTom GPS will do what you want. I bought a refurbished unit
for less than $100 and have been very pleased with it, and use it in
preference to my several-years-old $800 Garmin.
Did no see any of those at Walmart.
Well, first, it's not as if WalMart is the only store on earth or even
in your area.

Second, according to their web site, WalMart _DOES_ have TomTom units
for sale in their stores.