Map update 2008 bricked my 4250
Kenton
2008-08-28 23:30:51 UTC
I shelled out the $79 to Magellan for the 2008/2009 map update. It arrived
in only 2 days. While installing it today it got to the 3 minues to go
timer, generated an error message saying that it could not read from the CD,
directed me to disconnect the cable and reset the unit. It is now bricked
at the Magellan welcome screen and I cannot access the unit.

I have sent support request to Magellan via the website, but no response
yet.
Who Me?
2008-08-29 00:52:36 UTC
Post by Kenton
I have sent support request to Magellan via the website, but no response
yet.
First, try to run the update again. It may work.
If not, CALL THEM. Not likely you will get any significant help from an
email exchange.
m***@gmail.com
2008-09-02 10:39:07 UTC
Post by Kenton
I have sent support request to Magellan via the website, but no response
yet.
First, try to run the update again.  It may work.
If not, CALL THEM.  Not likely you will get any significant help from an
email exchange.
I've had a 3225 Maestro unit that bricked at the splash screen
before. Running the update probably won't work, as the USB host isn't
loaded on the GPS unit until after it gets into the OS. From what I
was told by a service rep, the only way to fix a unit in this state is
by doing a firmware update from the SD card. Unfortunately for me,
there were/are no 3225 firmware updates available.

If the 4250 has an update available, your best bet is to try doing an
update from the SD card. You should be able to access the maintenance
mode by powering on the unit while holding in the master reset button
(if it's like the 3225).

Hope that helps.
f***@gmail.com
2008-09-11 07:05:35 UTC
I just experienced the same thing.They told me that I would get a
replacement in 3 days, now they say they are out of the 4250's and not
sure when they will be getting them in.I called the Magellan sales
department and asked to order a 4250,the salesman at Magellan say" HOW
MANY DO YOU WANT..I said how many do you have, he said 22.still
waiting to get my replacement..from the liars at Magellan!!!.I'll know
better to purchace anything else from them.
yet.
Kenton
2008-09-19 18:41:01 UTC
I got the replacement in about 5 days and sent the old one back. I have not
yet resent the passwords to attemp a reinstall of the 2008 update or
reinitialize my traffic system.