Routing from Point other than Home
Dan Wenz
2010-05-19 14:13:01 UTC
I have a Magellan RoadMate and want to input a trip beginning from a
site not my home and, so far, haven't seen a way to do that. Any help
out there?
Gene E. Bloch
2010-05-19 21:21:20 UTC
I have a Magellan RoadMate and want to input a trip beginning from a site not
my home and, so far, haven't seen a way to do that. Any help out there?
IIRC, the Maestro lets you create a route on the map from a point you
can select. Maybe the RoadMate does that as well.

I have also, with the help of a lot of free downloaded software and a
lot of steps, exported trips from Google Earth to the Maestro. It was
too long ago and too complicated for me to remember or report here, but
lots of Googling and going to GPS web sites got me there. I'm not sure
I could in clear conscience encourage you to try that :-)

After letting it marinate a few minutes, this feeble brain has soaked
up some information. GPSBabel was part of the software I used, I do
recall that. I think I remember the process: save the trip in kml (or
was it kmx?) format, use GPSBabel to convert it to something that the
Magellan can handle, and use the Magellan Content Manager software to
export it to the device. Or maybe the saved kmx (or was it kml?) file
was enough...
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Dan Wenz
2010-05-19 22:13:27 UTC
Post by Gene E. Bloch
IIRC, the Maestro lets you create a route on the map from a point you
can select. Maybe the RoadMate does that as well.
Etc.

Thanks, I think I'll pass, it was just a thought, and I'll be at the
"away from home site" an hour after I depart my house so will just
depart to destination from there. Will be from my home in Maryland to
Pennsylvania (daughter's home) then to Phila. Airport. Mapquest and GPS
will be compared just out of curiosity.