Charging the 4350
Ron
2009-06-15 23:56:42 UTC
Does the car usb power charge the Magellan or only supply power? Thx
Jon
2009-06-16 02:04:57 UTC
Mine does.
Ron
2009-06-16 02:18:36 UTC
Post by Jon
Post by Ron
Does the car usb power charge the Magellan or only supply power? Thx
Mine does.
Thanks. I just bought a used one without the wall plug. I remember reading
somewhere about a unit not charging from the cig lighter hook-up, only
running from the power. Maybe it was the tomtom.

Thx agn
PeterD
2009-06-16 12:46:26 UTC
Post by Ron
Post by Jon
Post by Ron
Does the car usb power charge the Magellan or only supply power? Thx
Mine does.
Thanks. I just bought a used one without the wall plug. I remember reading
somewhere about a unit not charging from the cig lighter hook-up, only
running from the power. Maybe it was the tomtom.
Thx agn
Might be the TomTom, but my Magellen does also charge from both
cables. Keep in mind that charging is best done with the unit off, I'm
not sure it charges at all (or perhaps very slowly) when it is in use.
Jim Townsend
2009-06-16 13:21:12 UTC
Post by Ron
Thanks. I just bought a used one without the wall plug. I remember
reading somewhere about a unit not charging from the cig lighter hook-up,
only
running from the power. Maybe it was the tomtom.
Thx agn
Yep.. The only way to charge the internal battery is to plug in the
USB cord.

FWIW, you can get a cheap wall plug with a cigarette lighter socket
built in. These are -much- cheaper than the original Magellan wall
plugs. You can use it to charge your unit at home, and as a bonus
you can use it to power any other 12V accessories you might own.

The link below shows what they look like.. I've seen them priced as
low as $6.00

http://www.semsons.com/acwaplto12vd.html
Charlie
2009-06-16 20:37:18 UTC
Post by Jim Townsend
Post by Ron
Thanks. I just bought a used one without the wall plug. I remember
reading somewhere about a unit not charging from the cig lighter hook-up,
only
running from the power. Maybe it was the tomtom.
Thx agn
Yep.. The only way to charge the internal battery is to plug in the
USB cord.
FWIW, you can get a cheap wall plug with a cigarette lighter socket
built in. These are -much- cheaper than the original Magellan wall
plugs. You can use it to charge your unit at home, and as a bonus
you can use it to power any other 12V accessories you might own.
The link below shows what they look like.. I've seen them priced as
low as $6.00
http://www.semsons.com/acwaplto12vd.html
The manual for the 4250 says, in part, "use only the car charger approved
for /supplied with your Magellan..."

So, yes, the car charger will charge it. Probably slower than the AC but it
will do it. And under "user options" select "system settings" to see the
battery status.

Charlie
Who Me?
2009-06-16 23:16:47 UTC
Post by Charlie
The manual for the 4250 says, in part, "use only the car charger
approved for /supplied with your Magellan..."
Not sure what THAT means......but with the adapter mentioned supplying 12
VDC, then you WOULD be using the car charger that came from Magellan along
with it. Makes no difference where THAT cord gets it's 12V from.
Carl
2009-06-17 22:35:56 UTC
Post by Who Me?
Post by Charlie
The manual for the 4250 says, in part, "use only the car charger
approved for /supplied with your Magellan..."
Not sure what THAT means......but with the adapter mentioned supplying 12
VDC, then you WOULD be using the car charger that came from Magellan along
with it. Makes no difference where THAT cord gets it's 12V from.
Yes, and no it can make a difference.

I'm saying that because my 1412 came only with a car charger. I got a AC
charger on ebay and it locked my GPS up some times. I contacted the seller
and he never answered. So I bought another one, this time the sellers add
said don't be fooled by other chargers that can lock your GPS up in the PC
mode. I got his and it works fine every time. After I gave my son in law my
1412 he tried to use his Motorola Crazer charger in it,,,locked it
up!!!!!!!! So, yes,,,,and no to what your saying, I'm saying good luck if
you do not buy one from Magellan.
Who Me?
2009-06-18 12:22:34 UTC
Post by Carl
Post by Who Me?
Makes no difference where THAT
cord gets it's 12V from.
Yes, and no it can make a difference.
In YOUR case it did......because the cord you were plugging INTO the
Magellan was NOT a Magellan cord. In the case under discussion here, the
cord plugged into the GPS WAS a Magellan cord.

Whole different situation; he is doing it right, you did not.

Like I said, IN THIS SITUATION your comment doesn't apply. Once you have a
proper cord plugged into the GPS, it doesn't make any difference where the
12VDC comes from. Got it ???
Carl
2009-06-18 22:10:41 UTC
Post by Who Me?
Post by Carl
Post by Who Me?
Makes no difference where THAT
cord gets it's 12V from.
Yes, and no it can make a difference.
In YOUR case it did......because the cord you were plugging INTO the
Magellan was NOT a Magellan cord. In the case under discussion here, the
cord plugged into the GPS WAS a Magellan cord.
Whole different situation; he is doing it right, you did not.
Like I said, IN THIS SITUATION your comment doesn't apply. Once you have
a proper cord plugged into the GPS, it doesn't make any difference where
the 12VDC comes from. Got it ???
Your Quote; Makes no difference where THAT cord gets it's 12V from.

I miss read it, obviously, I took it as makes no difference what 12V cord
you use.

At least now he is aware of what problem can arise if he should try a after
market cord. I managed to get a good one the second time.
Charlie

Charlie
Carl
2009-06-16 22:53:08 UTC
Post by Ron
Does the car usb power charge the Magellan or only supply power? Thx
Looks like you've got the answers you need, I will add I always left my 1412
plugged into the cig plug when I was using it in the car. It kept the
battery fresh and fully charged. Its now in the owner ship of my son in law
and I use a crossover.
Ron
All, thank you very much!
Carl