NEED: small car GPS with direct 12V plug-in
Lono
2010-04-09 14:31:17 UTC
I drive a very small roadster with a miniscule dashboard. My objective
is to have a 3.5" GPS with reasonable performance, attached to a 12V
male plug. I need visual navigation - audio is unimportant.

There cannot be a long stalk between plug and GPS - a couple of inches
max, or some sort of flexible joint that's sufficiently sturdy as to
hold the GPS in place despite a hard suspension on the car.

Many products will satisfy the GPS function, and I can fabricate the
plug connection, but is there something already out there?

Thanks!
Peter H. Coffin
2010-04-09 17:55:03 UTC
Post by Lono
I drive a very small roadster with a miniscule dashboard. My objective
is to have a 3.5" GPS with reasonable performance, attached to a 12V
male plug. I need visual navigation - audio is unimportant.
How small is "miniscule"? A Garmin beanbag mount is about the size of a
DVD case, accomodates some curving, and only needs about the height of
the receiver itself plus perhaps an inch. The nüvis on those mounts can
even tuck into the angle under the windshield, since they're much
shallower at the top than the beanbag is.
--
75. I will instruct my Legions of Terror to attack the hero en masse,
instead of standing around waiting while members break off and
Wayne R.
2010-04-10 00:03:42 UTC
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:55:03 GMT, "Peter H. Coffin"
Post by Peter H. Coffin
Post by Lono
I drive a very small roadster with a miniscule dashboard. My objective
is to have a 3.5" GPS with reasonable performance, attached to a 12V
male plug. I need visual navigation - audio is unimportant.
How small is "miniscule"? A Garmin beanbag mount is about the size of a
DVD case, accomodates some curving, and only needs about the height of
the receiver itself plus perhaps an inch. The nüvis on those mounts can
even tuck into the angle under the windshield, since they're much
shallower at the top than the beanbag is.
The nuvi 205 or 255 (non-W versions) should be okay, and the suction
cup doesn't have to attach to the windshield - mine attach to the
plastic "cover" over the tach.

Maybe consider RAM mounts?

<http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/GPSMounts/tabid/135/Default.aspx >
Lono
2010-04-10 01:27:48 UTC
Thanks.
I looked again, and it appears that my best bet is a TomTom with the
swivel back, to which I'll fabricate the plug into the lighter socket.

That's small, adjustable, and won't obscure anything.