Logging of lake coords and depth
ps56k
2009-09-28 02:37:29 UTC
Several Garmins output NMEA data to a cable which can be hooked to a
computer. Does any Garmin output the data to a SD (or other) card?
It would be better to explain your project or situation.
I wish to map the bottom of a lake with a boat. The GPS would have a
sounder.

As this is a totally new type of discussion for me,
was wondering what kind of setup do you envision ?

Having never played with a "fish finder" device,
was wondering if they have a GPS feature,
and for the lake mapping aspect,
- how do you intend to capture the GPS lat/lon PLUS the depth info ?
Lastly - what is the end result ? a depth map ? How would you create it ?

Just curious - as always willing to learn a little something different &
new...
Happy Trails
2009-09-28 09:26:51 UTC
What kind of a post is this? The message below is all I have of this
thread. Where is the beginning of it? To the original poster, please
post a new message with your original questions directly on usenet and
lose the confusion.
==================

new...
Rod Speed
2009-09-28 17:30:29 UTC
Post by Happy Trails
What kind of a post is this?
The addition of a newsgroup kind.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.satellite.gps.garmin/browse_frm/thread/89fa6c150e32a3bf/fa5ae7a40213327a
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.satellite.gps.garmin/browse_frm/thread/89fa6c150e32a3bf/7e5db5a07f2670a5
Post by Happy Trails
To the original poster, please post a new message with your
original questions directly on usenet and lose the confusion.
You can find it yourself using groups.google.
==================
different & new...
Gene E. Bloch
2009-09-29 00:29:29 UTC
Post by Happy Trails
What kind of a post is this? The message below is all I have of this
thread. Where is the beginning of it? To the original poster, please
post a new message with your original questions directly on usenet and
lose the confusion.
==================
Your headers include - in the references header - the first post of
this thread. You could use that to track it down.

I see the whole thread.

I would bet that what Charles said about someone's adding to the
cross-post list is exactly the cause of your problem.
Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
Gene E. Bloch
2009-09-29 00:50:46 UTC
Post by Happy Trails
What kind of a post is this? The message below is all I have of this
thread. Where is the beginning of it? To the original poster, please
post a new message with your original questions directly on usenet and
lose the confusion.
==================
Your headers include - in the references header - the first post of this
thread. You could use that to track it down.
I see the whole thread.
I would bet that what Charles said about someone's adding to the cross-post
list is exactly the cause of your problem.
Addendum: the thread is incomplete in this newsgroup,
(alt.satellite.gps.magellan), whereas it was complete where I first
responded to you (alt.satellite.gps.garmin).

Also, the OP's post was not cross-posted.

This would seem to totally corroborate Charles's hypothesis.
Happy Trails
2009-09-29 02:12:43 UTC
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:50:46 -0700, Gene E. Bloch
Post by Gene E. Bloch
Also, the OP's post was not cross-posted.
Congatulations - you figured out why I was ticked off about it in the
first place!

What kind of a dumbass would add other groups when responding to a
post?
Gene E. Bloch
2009-09-29 04:10:08 UTC
Post by Gene E. Bloch
Also, the OP's post was not cross-posted.
Congatulations - you figured out why I was ticked off about it in the
first place!
What kind of a dumbass would add other groups when responding to a
post?
Oh, maybe someone who likes to see you get ticked off.
Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
Rod Speed
2009-09-29 17:52:22 UTC
Someone who has decided that the extra groups are appropriate, stupid.
Happy Trails
2009-09-29 23:45:19 UTC
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 03:52:22 +1000, "Rod Speed"
Post by Rod Speed
Someone who has decided that the extra groups are appropriate, stupid.
What kind of an asshole would add extra groups to a response without
including the original post?

Who's stupid now, dipshit?
Sunshine
2009-09-29 23:15:47 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Someone who has decided that the extra groups are appropriate, stupid.
What kind of an asshole would add extra groups to a response without
including the original post?
You must be a Usenet newbie if this is new and confusing for you.
Adding and removing groups as a thread progresses is common, normal,
and should not be a cause for concern. The References header should
always lead you back to the source, if you're so inclined.
Post by Happy Trails
Who's stupid now, dipshit?
Probably best if you didn't ask that question. :)
Happy Trails
2009-09-30 10:57:17 UTC
Post by Sunshine
Adding and removing groups as a thread progresses is common, normal,
No, Sunshine, it isn't!

Referring the OP to another group, if someone thinks that other group
is a more suitable place to ask a question, is common and normal.

Arbitrarily adding other groups to a response in mid-thread is
illogical, abnormal and uncommon, and rarely seen on usenet, with a
possible exception being users of GPS devices, hahahahaha!
Rod Speed
2009-09-30 18:52:50 UTC
Post by Happy Trails
Post by Sunshine
Adding and removing groups as a thread progresses is common, normal,
No, Sunshine, it isn't!
Wrong, as always.
Post by Happy Trails
Referring the OP to another group, if someone thinks that other group
is a more suitable place to ask a question, is common and normal.
Arbitrarily adding other groups to a response in mid-thread is illogical, abnormal and uncommon,
You get no say what so ever on that or anything else at all, ever.
Post by Happy Trails
and rarely seen on usenet,
Wrong, as always.
Pathetic.
Rod Speed
2009-09-30 18:51:02 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Gene E. Bloch
Also, the OP's post was not cross-posted.
Congatulations - you figured out why I was ticked off about it in the first place!
What kind of a dumbass would add other groups when responding to a post?
Someone who has decided that the extra groups are appropriate, stupid.
What kind of an asshole would add extra groups to a response without including the original post?
Someone who realises that its completely trivial for anyone with even half a clue to
use the headers or groups.google to find the original if they want to read it, stupid.
Who's stupid now, dipshit?
You, as always.
Gene E. Bloch
2009-09-30 21:15:35 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Happy Trails
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Gene E. Bloch
Also, the OP's post was not cross-posted.
Congatulations - you figured out why I was ticked off about it in the first place!
What kind of a dumbass would add other groups when responding to a post?
Someone who has decided that the extra groups are appropriate, stupid.
What kind of an asshole would add extra groups to a response without
including the original post?
Someone who realises that its completely trivial for anyone with even half a clue to
use the headers or groups.google to find the original if they want to read it, stupid.
Post by Happy Trails
Who's stupid now, dipshit?
You, as always.
Insults aside :-) I find myself wondering how he picked his screen
name.
Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com
Rod Speed
Yeah, I did too.
Happy Trails
2009-10-01 22:29:18 UTC
On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 03:42:34 +1000, "Rod Speed"
Post by Rod Speed
Insults aside :-) I find myself wondering how he picked his screen name.
Yeah, I did too.
You two mutts might want to pull your noses out of each others asshole
long enough to notice who has actually posted some useful information
in this thread for the OP !
Rod Speed

Wayne R.
2009-09-28 14:59:16 UTC
I've asked about this in the past and was turned onto this:

<http://www.nrri.umn.edu/toolik/lakedepth/intro.html>

But I discovered the whole effort I was about to launch myself on was
sorta pointless - our state's DNR had excellent contour maps of all
the lakes I was thinking about mapping myself.

new...
Happy Trails
2009-09-28 17:07:53 UTC
Post by Wayne R.
<http://www.nrri.umn.edu/toolik/lakedepth/intro.html>
But I discovered the whole effort I was about to launch myself on was
sorta pointless - our state's DNR had excellent contour maps of all
the lakes I was thinking about mapping myself.
FYI for anyone who ever wants to do this, I used to use - even for
cheap-ass commercial use on occasion - a model of Furuno depth sounder
that cost way under $1000 10 years ago, and put out a proper NMEA
depth message that any other NMEA-capable instrument could use.

I used to put it into a PC using my own survey software, but I suppose
one could always put it into a gps capable of logging position and
depth. My stuff was always on salt water, so I had tidal corrections,
and heave, pitch & roll to smooth out.